As described in Part I of installation, I screwed up my measurements and was unable to fit the closet units thru the hallway. After a lot of agonizing, I decided to carefully “un assemble” one side on each unit. And it worked.
Now that the first unit has been put back together, I am feeling a lot better:
One of the benefits of this approach is that is made it easier to cut the holes in the unit sides that I needed to accommodate the various outlets in the corner. I should have cut the holes in side before assembling the first item.
Now the units are assembled in place and ready to be attached into final position
Using my stud finder, I marked out the locations of the studs against the back walls. Although I made the face frames 1/4” oversized with a slight back bevel to allow for scribing, I decided against attempting it. Although I understand the concept of how this should work, I was not confident enough in my abilities to try it. In addition, I am confused about how the shelves and the exposed sides would get scribed.
To attach the unit to the wall, I used 3” cabinet screws driven thru all three cross brace shelf supports and into the stud. You can see the braces in this picture
I tested the strength of the assembly by have all 215 lbs of me hanging from the top of the unit. Nothing moved, creaked or gave.
So they are now in place:
Weeks to build, days to install, minutes to fill:
Next step … mirrors and shelves.
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn