Installation was not a pleasant experience. I made a mistake so dumb it makes me wonder if I should just put my workshop on Craigslist and take up knitting.
I had the closet units completed assembled, finished with face frames attached.
These units need to brought into the bedroom, brought into a hallway, lifted and tilted in.
I drew out the dimensions in advance to ensure I could get the unit in. My drawing were wrong. The d*#n units can not be tilted in, they are too big. I did not realize my daughter had brought friends home and I embarrassed her by cursing loudly in the bedroom. Not a good role model day.
I took a day of feeling sorry for myself and trying to figure out how to fix. I considered:
- cutting a section out of lintel (but I hate finish work and dry walling)
- cutting a section out of adjacent wall (ditto)
- burning everything and calling in real professional (where is Holmes when you need him)
- cutting cabinets into top and bottom components and rebuilding face frames in place
Finally I settled on trying to remove one side of the cabinets. I used a flush cut saw at face frame joints to cut them apart. I unscrewed the pocket screws. I scored along the edges where the shelf meets the sides. Finally, my amateur status helped me. My glue up was bad enough that I could separate the side wall with a rubber mallet and some anger without damaging the unit too badly and with biscuits intact.
Now they fit
(wife gloat) Eat your heart out Tim Allen, I have the best looking shop assistant in town:
Reglue and re install pocket screws and the first unit is in the closet.
And the face frames only suck a little bit:
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn