Final step is to attach and finish face frames. I may have already covered this but here is the face frame glue up.
Dry fit with clamps to make sure everything lines up.
Lessons Learned … do not store your framing materials like this:
A warped face frame is difficult to fix, no matter how are you nail it, clamp it and glue it.
See my shame below:
Next step was to set up tower on saw horses ($22 for metal saw horses that fold up at Lowe’s – I really like them) and use my little black and decker compressor/18g nail gun to glue and nail face frame onto casing.
I use the shop light at the end as a “raking light” to make sure I can spot any scratches in the face frames so I can catch them during the final sanding.
I used wood putty to fill holes and used it cover up my mistake at cutting biscuits into face frames (see blog #3). The putty looks fine now but I am guessing it will separate due to wood movement over time and look not so good. Here is how my cover up looks:
Final sanding to remove excess putty from nail holes and then finished using min wax spray poly … which is a lot cheaper at Walmart than Home Depot.
Also built a jig to pre drill screws for closet rods. The cut out fits around the shelf support brackets.
And slowly the complete units begin to stack up in the living room “staging area”. First a few:
And now more:
One of the reasons that I keep stretching myself on projects well beyond my skill level is that my girls continue to be very supportive. My daughter couldn’t wait to give me this sign that she picked out at the fair – she spent a lot of time picking out the specific tools on it:
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn