Having the bulk of pieces, cut and sanded, I elected to tape and pre finish most of the components.
Finishing large projects is a huge challenge for me as I work in a 3 car garage and can not easily spray stuff. Since I was finishing many large panels, I decided to try applying the clear coat with a floor roller. Since I like their other products, I decided to use a Zinsser water based poly. It worked as well as brushing does, however, the coats go on thick and you need to watch the roller to ensure even coverage. I used the specialty foam roller to apply (not the big thick ones, just 1/8” hard foam over cardboard tube)
Having put three coats on each component, I was ready to start assembling the pieces with biscuits and pocket screws. I attached the shelves to the shelf supports for top and middle shelves and put both the shelf support and toekick on the bottom shelves.
A little lesson learned during dry fitting. Both fine and coarse pocket screws push up enough material to cause a “dimple” on the surface. I had to drill, separate, sand off dimple and then go with a final glue and screw.
Another advantage of the sub assemblies is that they stand on their own, which made to process of attaching them to the tower side panels easier.
Once I had the shelves in place, could attach the second panel, checking for square at each step, to create the basic towers (rear view)
As you can see my garage gets quite full.
Next Step is to attach the face frames …
But now is the time to take my most important project to play in her first orchestra
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn