LumberJocks

Dovetail Pen Turning

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by SNSpencer updated 01-14-2010 07:14 PM 4 parts 52829 reads 7 comments total

Part 1: The adventure of dovetail pen turning begins.

12-30-2009 04:11 AM by SNSpencer | 0 comments »

OK, I turned a bunch of slimline pens as gifts for my coworkers. Now I am moving on to something more complicated. I know it’s a bit soon but I love learing new woodworking skills and the challenge of delving into the unkown. I will blog about my adventure of making a “Dovetail” pen here. The first thing that I learned is how to do end on end dovetailing. More complicated than it looks to join two boards, end on end, flat. Not the usual 90 deg angle like in box const...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Attempt one - Failure but learning opportunity

12-31-2009 01:01 AM by SNSpencer | 2 comments »

Finished up the first set of pen tubes for the Dovetail Pen endevor. Not worthy of a finished pen and now I will need to get a pen disassembly kit to salvage the parts. Oh well, I need one anyway. Problem: Since I don’t currently have a blank drilling jig the center holes were not perfectly inline with the line of the dovetail joint. This leads to pattern allignment issues on the finished pen.Solution: Looks like I will invest in a pen blank drilling jig or make one. (I need on...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Picture Progress Update

01-14-2010 06:31 PM by SNSpencer | 1 comment »

Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Success!!

01-14-2010 07:14 PM by SNSpencer | 4 comments »

Dovetail Pen Progress Success!! It took a few more tries but I finally have a set of pen blanks worth of being assembled into a final writing instrument. Some more issues that I have run into along the way are: Working with Padauk and CA glue – I found that when I was applying the CA glue to the blanks to stabilize the chipout that the glue would pick up the color from the Padauk. This in effect became a “stain” that would penetrate the Maple and start to turn it pink. I solved this ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com