LumberJocks

Cherry sideboard #5: Carcass and drawers

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SFDCapt posted 03-18-2014 05:05 PM 772 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Glue up starts Part 5 of Cherry sideboard series no next part

Well it has been a few weeks since any update on this project. Between work schedule, family and, kidney stones I got a little behind. Anyway here is the latest on the Stickley sideboard.

I managed to get the two side panels made and glued to the legs, as we saw in the last installment of this blog. Then I used some birch plywood to make the back and bottom of the drawer area. I went with the plywood for two reasons. First being the stability and second the ease of use. These two pieces will not be seen once the unit is finished and up against a wall, so the plywood is no big deal. The back panel was cut ¾” long and then ⅜” rabbits were cut into each end. These rabbits then were glued into dados that I cut out with a plunge router.

The bottom edge of the back panel also received a rabbit along the interior face. This allowed the bottom panel to be glued in position. The sides and front edge of the bottom panel all set on ¾”x1/2” blocks for support and anchoring.

I also made the front arch, which you can see just below the drawer assembly, and the drawer dividers. All the joinery is again mortise and tenon. Blocks where located along the back panel to attach the drawer slides to. These were glued in place and then screwed through from the back to give additional shear strength. At this point the carcass is just about done.

The next step was to either create the top or build the drawers. Since I was waiting for my new 8” JET jointer to arrive I decide to build the drawers. These were made out of maple for the sides and ½” birch plywood for the bottoms. I decided to pull out the dovetail jig and see what happens. I did use a couple scraps at first to refresh my memory on how to use the dovetail jig. After that it was just a matter of knocking them out.

Of course once I had them made I couldn’t resist placing them in the unit! I like seeing the progress, and it is a good spot to store them.

On to the top. I wanted the top to be a little beefier then the sides so I took some 12/4×8” cherry and resawed it in half. Once I ran it through the new jointer and then the planer I was left with a final thickness of 1 ⅛”. I laid them out, marked for biscuits to help keep the boards aligned during glue up, and then clamped it all together. When the glue is dry, probably overnight, I will run the top panel through the drum sander to ensure flatness. Then it will be cut to final dimensions and set aside for now.

So that is where the sideboard is at for now. I have ordered the drawer slides and need to go get some Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss at some point. I still need to make the drawer fronts and the backsplash, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it is not a train coming this way!

-- Making dust and taking names!



2 comments so far

View sras's profile

sras

3821 posts in 1767 days


#1 posted 03-19-2014 01:35 AM

That is going to turn out great!

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

View SFDCapt's profile

SFDCapt

73 posts in 339 days


#2 posted 03-19-2014 01:57 AM

Thanks Steve. I am getting to the point that I need to start thinking about what kind of finish to apply. I will probably post the question in the forums.

-- Making dust and taking names!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase