I went to my secret stash yesterday and picked up enough of the cherry boards to finish up this project. After I got it home I spent some time sorting it and figuring out which pieces I wanted to mill into the side panels.
This morning instead of getting a good start on those side panels I decided to rearrange some of my shop to make room for a new…... you’ll have to wait till it gets here!
Once the shop was put back together I started milling the 4/4 stock down to size. I have a Porter Cable bench top jointer. It did ok on the boards for the one panel as they were 6” wide. The boards for the other end panel were 9” wide though. I was able to run them through the planer and by taking very small cuts the boards came out nicely, even though they weren’t jointed first.
I laid them out, marked the boards and then cut in some biscuits. The biscuits help to align the boards during the glue up, which went well. I then used my crosscut sled to dimension and square up the end panels. This is where I strayed from my plan. I needed 17” wide panels, plus ⅜” rabbits on each side to interlock into the legs. Well you guessed it, I cut the panel to 17” wide instead of 17 ¾”. Needless to say I wasn’t too happy as there isn’t enough to make two new panels.
After a few minutes I decided that I could put four biscuits down each side and glue it up that way. Probably not as strong as a rabbit in a dado, but there is no other way to do it without making new panels. Having made one mistake already today I was very careful to make sure I remembered the lower side stretchers, that would have been devastating had I forgot them. Well the side panel and legs are now drying in the clamps, the seams look nice and tight. Tomorrow I will have to figure out the next step. Probably the bottom plywood panel of the drawer area.
-- Making dust and taking names!