Got back at working on the sideboard today. Wasn’t planning on it, but the neighbor offered to drive to HD and I needed some birch plywood. I picked up two sheets of 2’x4’ birch plywood. The birch will be used for the back and under side of the drawer box. I was really struggling with what to use there. I didn’t want any wood in the project except the heirloom cherry, however it seemed a waste to use it for components that no one will ever see. So I decided to go with the birch plywood. This will save some of the family cherry for other projects. Using the plywood is also more stable then solid wood, so less chance of unwanted movement. My neighbor, who we will call Greg, stuck around for a couple hours and helped make the back and some joinery. We cut the back to size, rabbited the ends and bottom edge. Then we set up the plunge router with a straight bit and edge guide. We cut dados into the back legs to accept the rabbits from the back panel, this should make for a strong connection. Once this was done we made the mortise and tenons to attach he front arch to the front legs. Everything was dry fit to check for fit. The next step will be to mill some more rough cherry and glue up the panels for each end.
-- Making dust and taking names!