After looking at several models of table saws at the local WoodSmith store I decided on the Steel City 35911 with the 50” Fence System. While I would have liked to have one of the big name cabinet saws my budget just won’t allow it.
Here’s the saw out of the crate. You can see the metal crate that it was packed in on the left had side of the photo. Talk about HEAVY. When I picked it up they loaded it in the back of my truck with a forklift. When I got it home I thought how the hell am I going to get this thing unloaded. Somehow with the help of my Wife we managed to slide it out of the truck using an appliance dolly.
All of the parts laid out:
I normally don’t read assembly instructions, but I figured it might be a good idea this time. So following the directions the first step was to install the Dust Port Assembly. Wow that was easy, four screws and the first setp is done.
Next up was attaching the Handwheel Assembly’s. This step looks just a bit harder, you have to align a slot on the back of the Handwheel with a pin on the shaft then put on a locking nut. I got both of them on so it must not have been that hard.
Okay so far so good. Next is attaching the Wrench and Fence Hook Assembly’s. If I can attach the Handwheels this shouldn’t be a problem at all.
Now it’s time to put on the Belt Assembly. Simply lift the motor up a bit and slip it on. That wasn’t so bad.
Okay now things start to get fun. It’s time for the Granite Extension Wing. That sucker’s heavy, but not to heavy for one person to do the job.
And here it is attached.
Riving Knife and Blade next. Nothing to it.
Next up is the Rails for the Fence Assembly.
Now it’s time to attach the legs to the Table Board Assembly and attach that to the saw. This is the only thing that I do not like about the saw. It seems a little cheap to me. I will probably end up building a new one at a later time.
Almost done now. Attach the Guide Tube and Scale next. This was the most difficult part of the entire job. And it was only difficult because the bolts holding it on fit really tight and I had a hard time getting a couple of the started. I didn’t want to make the bone head mistake of cross threading them so I took my time.
Finishing up I hooked up the power switch, attached the fence and put the miter gauge in it’s slot.
Now all I need to do is see if it will power on. Of course I needed to plug in the power cord first. How many times have you forgot to do that?
The moment of truth. Press the green button, the blade starts to turn, then nothing. It just stopped. What the heck is going on I thought.
I check to make sure I didn’t trip a breaker. Nope all good. Hmmm. Push the green button again. Nothing. At this point you can probably guess what I was thinking.
Then the light bulb went off in my head. I had the saw plugged into the drop cord that I used for my drill. So I switched it out with my heavy one, pushed the green button and….. Success!! Oh what a nice purr that motor makes.
And here’s the first cut! The end of a 2×4.
All in all it was really easy to put together. I still need to make the final adjustments but so far I am pleased with my choice. I guess time will tell if it was a good one.
-- Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity….