It’s been a while since the last shop update, but I wanted to wait for a lot of progess before making this update. We have been working really hard every weekend to get thing done. So here are the main tasks we (my Dad, Brother and I) have completed since the last update:
- The outside shell is finished
- The asphalt was teared out from the heli-pad
- Put all the plumbing into the ground for the drains, toilet, sinks, and shower. I don’t have pictures of this, but it was the hardest task.
- The gravel was levelled inside the building
- Concrete was poured inside the building and on the helipad
- Brick-work was done on the front of the building to match our house
- Got a shower, toilet, and sink for the shop bathroom.
- Walls were put up for the bathroom and storage room
Here are some pictures of the process:
Front of the shop:
The garage door here is where the wood shop will be:
This is the back of the shop with the large bi-fold door:
This area behind the shop was previously asphalt. The problem was that on a hot day when the helicopter would land on the mobile cart (which was parked on this area) it would sink into the asphalt a little bit, making it tough to pull into the shop. So the solution to this was to tear out the asphalt and replace it with concrete. My dad operated the mini- excavator and teared out the asphalt and I operated the skid–steer to load up the chunks into the trailer.
The rebar laid and ready for concrete:
Today we built the wall frames that divide the woodshop from the storage room and bathroom. That sliding–mitre–saw really came in handy for this:
My Dad and I also went to Lowes and picked up a toilet for the shop and all the metal ducting for the dust collection. We were thinking about going with PVC pipe for the ducts, but with all of the talk about static build-up and dust explosions, we decided to play it safe and go with metal ducts. We hope to get the ducts installed tomorrow.
Thanks for taking a look, I hope to have another update tomorrow once the metal ducts are installed.