I was feeling a bit predictable so I set myself a challenge. I had three boards that, on the surface, looks less than pretty. So, I decided I would make “something” with them. Here are the three boards:
The two on the right are Ash with some rather interesting discoloration. The one on the left was “I know not what” when I started.
I started by cutting the left board in half, and then cutting it again at the split. I flattened on side and glued the two pieces together.
Once the glue was dry, I cleaned it up a bit and put it on the lathe to make a nice little cylinder. As it turned out, the board on the left was Sycamore.
From there I milled up the other half, but because it twisted, I had to slice it into four boards to get anything flat and workable. When I had four flat square boards, I glued them back together to make a reasonable piece of lumber.
Next I turned my attention to the Ash boards. After working with them to get them flat and square, I ended up with seven smaller, but usable boards. From these I started to make a base.
Then, I took the Sycamore column and turned a simple post. And, cut a circle from the other half of the Sycamore board.
The next step was to assemble the base. I also glued up the remaining Ash boards and cut a circle from them as well.
Finally, I took the base and set the Ash circle on top of it, then took the post and set it on that, and then put the Sycamore circle on top of the post. This is what I ended up with.
I put a little finish on it and showed it to the wife who said, “I don’t like it”. Then my daughter looked at it and said, “I don’t hate it”. Eventually, my father saw it and said, “I kinda like it”. My dad has a good eye.
I wasn’t sure what I was going to get when I started, and now that it’s done, I’m not sure what I got, but it is interesting.
-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com