So, the kids are with the extended family for a while this summer, and I’ve had a couple of afternoons to myself. Yesterday, I got the top fitted, and then turned to the most terrifying part of the whole deal. If you hadn’t noticed, the outer supports have a tab that fits into a corresponding slot in the desk top. I had elected to not cut the holes out for the tabs until the very, very last step so I could make sure they fit right. In the end, I had to just cut them as I had laid them out for lack of a better solution. I was amazed that they actually fit. Somehow, someway, I managed to get everything to fit.
Some of the pieces are still a bit tight and have to be coaxed together, so I’ll probably be spending a good deal of time tuning all the pieces and parts just so. Lord knows that as soon as I get a finish applied the extra thickness will make assembly impossible. Now, I just need to find a good stain/dye solution, and figure out how to get a thick, hard finish on the actual work surface of the desk.
-- _Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience_