The wood shaped to the line. If you check back a few posts there were two lines. My ‘final’ line is what you see remaining.
Here’s a jig I made to cut the edges to size.
Does anyone see what ‘the problem’ is in this picture? Think hard…
It’s a 1hp Craftsman router with a 3/8” straight bit. I call it a ‘face off’ bit, but I could be wrong? The jig part is the device holding the router steady. It’s 1/8” aluminum plate sitting on 3 Delrin plastic blocks attached to a recycled formica sink cut out. I needed something to free up my hands to work the wood. The cut is a little ‘proud’ of 4mm. I’ll get it closer later. It really is 4.5mm at the ‘points’ you see in the picture and about 4mm around the sides. It’s optical aesthetics.
Here is the first pass. I didn’t get too far before realizing, “Dang, that router bit must be dull!?”
Of course, what is ‘wrong’ in the picture above is the bit is UPSIDE DOWN! Oops! It doesn’t cut too well, but it sure does burn wood!
Here is yours truly making sawdust. Lots of it. Which is why I did this outside. The jig stays on the planter pretty well, but I think I’ll make some kind of box to set it on, as it did move a little.
The result is a really clean edge. Because I haven’t done this for over a year, I forgot the ‘trick’ of going the other way with the wood (L to R). I’ll have to see if I can glue this piece back on. With any luck, it won’t even be noticed.
Next is to use my gouges and templates to shape the top and back.
-- “Once more unto the breach, dear friends...” Henry V - Act III, Scene I