Being that space is at a premium – I have to move ‘this’ to do ‘that’ – I decided to add shelf/drawers for storage under the bench. I’ve been slowly progressing – until I discovered the biscuit joiner! I now have the carcass assembled and oiled! Here’s the oiled carcass:
I checked for square as much as possible. I even clamped the square to the sides. Pretty darn close considering. I may be 1/16th off end to end? I’m certain I could do even better with better equipment.
Is it square? You bet!
Note the table to the right? It’s gone and the bench is perpendicular to where it sits here.
Some creative clamping. Tow straps!
The dilemma I faced was that I had planned on putting in a front vise, but then decided that the Groz I have is really too big for this bench. I then settled on this Czech vise I picked up from Lee Valley. It’s a little lighter weight. I just drilled the holes and tested the fit.
The vise has to be installed before the carcass can be. Today, I cleaned up the shop. I removed the 6’ table (the plan all along) and rotated the bench 90 degrees which opened up a lot of space. It’s still a mess of progress, but I hate to put it all away if I’m still using the tools.
When I get disillusioned I step outside and check out the view around here:
Tomorrow, back to the day job. When I get home I’ll finish the vise. I’ll then put the carcass under the bench.
Next… the front door and drawers….
-- “Once more unto the breach, dear friends...” Henry V - Act III, Scene I