Despite all the rain I managed to make some progress on the lean-to. A neighbor was kind
enough to give me a whole bundle of unopened ridge shingles.
They aren’t the color I would have chosen but I decided to use them anyway. They really don’t
look to bad. And can’t beat free. Couldn’t see not using them and saving 30 dollars. The one bundle
covered the entire lean-to with 3 or 4 left over.
I got the tar paper up last evening and sealed the top where the roof of the lean-to meets the shed wall. Found out after the fact that you aren’t supposed to use Aluminum Coating (wet) Roof Sealer Cement on wood. Oh well, too late now.
It got a good test last night as it rained very hard for hours and hours. No sign of any leaks. I still am
going to put up some flashing up there that will hide the black sealant that is visible in the pics. Stuff
is very messy. I will install the flashing with construction adhesive. That stuff is awesome on wood.
Anyway, got the shingles up. Still need to do the last row. They needed cut in half and will go over the flashing
at the back edge.
I’m not sure of what the consequences will be from using ridge shings on the roof. Guess time will tell.
I started cutting and fitting the siding this evening. Got a few pieces cut and tacked up. Hopefully will start the doors tomorrow and start putting in the lumber storage racks and sheet lumber cabinet.
The piece of siding at the door opening is not cut to size yet. The doors will go up to about 6 – 8 inches from
the roof. And the trim that is up is just tacked in. With nails that are too large !
Put a few pieces of trim up and have more to prime. Some of the mistakes will have to wait to be fixed as I’m falling behind on things. Want to get this project wrapped up.
My carpentry skills are improving but I still have a long way to go. Learning as I go and
I’m certainly no speed demon. Going to probably have to redo some of the siding where
the gaps are. Or try to patch it up so its not so obvious. Maybe I can put some trim up to