I was going to wait till I had the lean-to sheathed before making another post, but decided to go ahead
and bring things up-to-date. Its been raining the last several days on and off.
Now its coming down steadily so its holding up things a bit.
As mentioned in my last post, I detoured the expansion to build a lumber storage lean-to
on the back of the shed. Since the last blog entry, I have finished framing the lean-to .
I started cutting the roof sheathing. It will be done in three pieces of 1/2” OSB that I had cut
at the home-center, slightly over-sized.
I didn’t really follow fundamental building practice when I built this lean-to. Its sort of a hybrid.Between a free standing, and a real lean-to. So when I attached the top ledger, where the roof joists are connected, I didn’t cut away the siding on the shed and install flashing. I just attached the ledger directly.
This may give me some problems in sealing things from rain and moisture down the road, but I’m not too concerned.
The plan is to use roof cement/adhesive, sheet-metal aprons as flashing, and chaulk.
So today, the rain held off long enough for me to cut the roof sheathing, but then it came in buckets. Will start cutting and putting up the wall sheeting (7/16”) OSB as soon as the weather permits. Sheathing the walls is
probably over-kill. Maybe should of just gone with siding on frame. Oh well. The one pine 2×4 sticks
out like a sore thumb.
Needed one more treated board and just decided to go with what was available.
Here is an updated photo of the lean to with framing done.
A few days ago few curious inspectors showed up. They were staring with great interest almost mesmerized.
Then after chattering amongst themselves a bit, I guess everything passed inspection as they eventually went along their way.
The other day I went to the local HD to pick up a few metal framing brackets and as I walked to the check-out,
there was a cart loaded up with a bale of insulation batting.
The bale had been cut up into 96” lengths. Otherwise nothing was wrong with it. It had been wrapped with plastic and banded making it easy to load up in the truck. So I bought it . Reduced to 16 dollars for all of that insulation ! Just about enough to finish off the wall bays in the shed. Got most of it put in yesterday when it rained.
Another score I got was some Jorgensen Clamps on discount at an Ollie’s store. I ended up spending 350 dollars but saved over 200 had I purchased them at HD’s price.
Its suppose to get hot and muggy in the next few days. Not looking forward to that but will work through it to
get this thing done.
Till next time. Thanks for reading and happy woodworking !