Or is that a train ?
Currently am in the process of taking down the old siding and applying a fanfold moisture barrier on the sheathing . The old siding is being replaced with new siding sheets that will run down the entire wall to within a few inches of the ground. The old siding will be reused on a lumber storage lean-to, which is to be build in the future. ASAP.
Why am I replacing the siding ? The old siding stopped short about 10 inches from the bottom. A 2×10 framed out the bottom all the way around the shed. These 2×10s weren’t mitered or beveled on the top to drain off moisture, nor were they sealed to prevent moisture from draining and wicking in behind them.
As the pictures show , water damage is evident. Rotting was minimal and decided to let it dry out and decide whether to cut out the bottom 10 inches and replace. The white that is showing is Kilz that bled onto the wall from the 2×10 trim boards.
Decided to dig out the soil down to and under the joist and get the soil away from as much of it as possible and will back-fill it with compactable gravel and finish with #8 crushed limestone gravel hopefully tomorrow.
I actually dug the trench you see deeper and exposed the side and underneath the beam. Just didn’t take a pic.
Just a few days ago did a dry fit of the siding on the north side you see below. I used strips of fanfold as “furring” to create an airspace/drain channel under the siding.
Noticed today some of the furring is coming loose. Will need to use bigger staples. Also got the soffitts on this side installed. They are secured but not quite done.
The soffitt trim also dry fitted, has some nails showing that will eventually be hidden with a larger drip edge, and apron, and gutters.
Admittedly this is all new to me so while I’m taking my time, its far from perfect. :) The learning process has been invaluable.
This is the north facing wall. Maybe next year I will put in a few small windows. Thats up in the air as space will be limiting as it is.
This is the side I just got the siding and soffitts sort of dry fitted . I will be trenching the bottom like the back and backfilling with gravel to increase the drainage around the shed.
As I posted yesterday, things are in a state of chaos again ! I am reluctant to post pics of this chaos, but here goes.
P.S. I would like to say I have “after” pics. But that hasn’t happened yet. This is the current and present chaos I’m dealing with. Tomorrow maybe, I will move stuff around again for the dozenth time.
There is a shop in there someplace.
A few misc pics .