Got to keep saying that to myself because it would be easy to become frustrated. I realize construction projects
create a lot of disruption and some chaos. I try to work smart and somewhat organized, but things can get out of
One thing creating some grief is the lumber and stuff that is taking up all the room in my shop. I kept my construction lumber surplus on racks outside , on one side of the shop. I kept it tarped to keep it relatively dry. Before I could do the soffits and siding on that side of the building, I had to take all of that lumber down.
I would be needing some of this lumber in the short term so I put it all inside the shop and some in a pile tarped over outside.
It quickly filled the shop and took up most of the room . Can’t even get to one end of the shop. I figured it would be okay for a few weeks until I get the siding and trim up on the outside. But its just taking up too much room and I find myself needing stuff thats located at that end of the shop of course. Then I have to move stuff around and it can sometimes take 10 minutes or longer to shift things around .
Okay, enough complaining. The last two days have been nice weather-wise. Yesterday I took down the old siding and put up the rest of the fanfold underlayment . Ran out so I had to make a trip to pick up another bundle . Also need some more aluminum soffit trim and j-channel.
So today I got the soffits up on the other side of the shed and removed a 2×10 bottom trim board. Moisture had leached through and behind the trim board and a little rot was evident on the ply sheathing near the bottom .
These trim boards won’t be going back on. They trap to much moisture behind them and add little in the way of appeal or function. I cleaned up good behind them and will dig out the ground there underneath and put in some gravel. Seems there is moisture not draining from the top of the ground there.
Tomorrow I will finish putting up the fanfold and run out for some Smart Panels to side withl. I will need longer pieces to run down to within about 4 inches of the ground. The old panels were cut short and seated to the top
of the 2×10 trim boards.
After reading up on drain channels and the like. I will be adding an additional (three or four ) 4” wide pieces of fanfold vertically that run the entire length top to bottom on top of the fanfold. This will create an airspace between the underlayment and the sheets of siding. This space wil provide a channel for moisture to weep away.
Keep away termites and other moisture related problems.
The siding I’m using are the SmartSide composite siding sold in the 4×8 sheets. These seem to hold up well to the elements . They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to put up.