LumberJocks

A Small Woodworking Shop Expansion #9: Progress Update December 22

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RonInOhio posted 12-23-2012 04:56 AM 1196 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: A Few Setbacks and a Race Against Cold and Snow Part 9 of A Small Woodworking Shop Expansion series Part 10: Roofing Paper and Drip Edges Done »

The cold weather has arrived and the winds were kind of strong all day yesterday and last night. Substained 30+ mph with snow,rain,and sleet. But the tarp held up and everything is staying dry underneath. Not nearly as windy today. And that is a good thing. Didn’t really feel like wind surfing with a sheet of plywood in my hands !

Put up the lookouts and the rake rafters yesterday. The rake rafters were a bit of a challenge to
figure out how to get them in place up there by myself. The solution was to nail a 2 X4 along the
rafters top edge, and to “hang” them up there over the lookouts. Then I just clamped them
there so I could nail them in place.

Can’t begin to say how useful my Irwin Quik-Grip bar clamps have been in this project. Anyone working
by themselves, they are literally like having an extra set of hands. Constantly am finding ways
to use these in carpentry work.

Today I removed the edge-drip from the front of the tool shed and proceeded to muscle up
the big sheets of ply to the roof of the extension.Thankfully, didn’t get airborne. Got them
positioned up snug to the old roof (edge to edge) and put down a few nails to keep them
in place.

Darkness came so I pulled the tarp back over and called it a day. Tomorrow I
will finish putting the ply down on top and hopefully the #15 roofing paper and see
how far I can get with the shingles.

As promised below are pics of my progress over the last week.

Yes, I have made mistakes and some of them are evident. But I do feel like I’m getting more comfortable
with the whole carpentry side of things.:)

Looking from inside to the front left and front partial walls. Decided to just deal with the side
door framing later on and framed normally. I will need to work in a header into the
front walls at some point.

No that isn’t a pretty blue sky up above. That is a tarp ! :) And the ridge beam
looking to the front rafters and the lookouts on the front left.

Looking from front to back. Those gable end studs up top
will be coming out as well as all of the rafter joists and
replaced with collar-ties. This will gain around 8-12 inches
of additional overhead room throughout !

These are the lookouts for the front overhang.Looking from the front right
outside corner, to the left front of the addition.

Didn’t get a pic of the rake rafter. Will try to get that one up on the next update.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase