Finally started the expansion. Its a modest expansion but will end up giving me around 160 sq. feet of shop space. Right now my space is not much more than a place to store my tools. Currently laying down the floor frame and joists. Will post my progress .
Before actual construction began I had to move a small plastic shed that was butted up against the front of my little shop. I ran two tow straps under it, hooked it up to the truck and pulled it forward.
I had previously built a new floating foundation to pull the shed onto, but as expected , I had to do some considerable leveling and jacking up and fixing things underneath. This was done over the course of a few days.
The next thing was to dig out the footprint of the expansion. This involved digging out a 5 foot x 10 foot x 6 inch deep area. All done with a shovel and small wheel barrel.
Ordered a yard of #8 limestone gravel and proceeded to backfill and level the concrete piers.
I thought a half yard would be enough. But I ended up getting two half yard deliveries. This is a half yard of gravel.
Digging out in front of the shed I’m expanding. The front beam was laying directly on the ground. I had to dig under it and expose it and backfilled with gravel and supported with piers.
Here is the foundation bed and floor beams before leveling . Just sort of a dry fitting.
Layed some poly over the gravel and built the frame beams
Put down PT 2×6’s over the beams . Started building the floor frame and getting ready to lay down Reflectix vapor barrier before I lay in the joists.