It finally stopped raining! I shouldn’t complain because we actually needed the rain, everything had become so dry. But, at any rate, the sun is out and I can see all the way to the back of the shop. So it is time to get this little stand laid-out and rough cut.
I glued-up the top a few weeks ago. I think the Ambrosia maple looks awesome … you? It is currently over-sized by a few inches, I’ll cut it to fit once the base is completed. The lumber I get from Suwanee Lumber is FAS S3S; therefore, I just have to clean up faces with a card scraper … can’t beat that!
I chose a 5-1/2” wide Ambrosia maple board to lay-out the front, sides and back.
After several arrangements I think I found the perfect location for the front. I laid-out the parts over-sized by 1” … that should be plenty to square things up later.
I just love all the little cat’s paws!
Once I nailed down the position of the parts, I cut them out with my 22” Sandvik 8 ppi cross-cut saw.
The cherry board I chose for the legs is 1-3/4” thick. So, the legs were laid-out at 1-3/4” wide … I had just enough board! I hope I can remember which one of those lines to follow!
I laid-out legs at 29-1/4” long to allow for squaring and tapering later. I started to rough-cut the legs with my favorite 23” 7 ppi rip saw (don’t tell my Disston). This is a great little saw. I picked it up at a flea market many, many years go for $3.00. It was nothing but rust, had a broken handle, but it was straight and had all it’s teeth. After a good old vinegar bath, a new oak handle, and sharpening … well … see for yourself!
Hmmm … not too shabby!
BUT WAIT … that could be a problem …
... that little surface blemish was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I may have to alter the taper. I will just have to wait and see.
Well … I managed to get all the pieces cut out; even found some scrap for the cleats, drawer runners, and drawer sides and back. Looks like the drawer guides will be black oak … just so happen to have two 1-1/2” pieces left over from my last prie-dieu ...
... thought it a good idea to save some cherry saw dust, in the event I have to patch that knot, or something else for that matter. The jury is still out as to the drawer bottom, I may end up re-sawing some pine to make loose slats … I just don’t know, yet.
Next up … mortise and tenon joints … lots of mortise and tenon joints. Thanks for looking, more to come!
Hepplewhite Stand #1: What's Wrong With This Picture
Hepplewhite Stand #2: First Things First
Hepplewhite Stand #3: Lay-Out & Rough-Cut
Hepplewhite Stand #4: A Proper Edge
Hepplewhite Stand #5: Mortises - Finally!
Hepplewhite Stand #6: Frame Members Sized for Tenons
Hepplewhite Stand #7: Tapering the legs
Hepplewhite Stand #8: Completed Legs and Drawbore Pins
Hepplewhite Stand #9: The Drawer
Hepplewhite Stand #10: Final Assembly
-- Ron in Lilburn, Georgia. Knowing how to use a tool is more important than the tool in and of itself.