It’s been raining for a day or so here in Lilburn, and as a result I haven’t had much shop time. Too dark. But, I’m still moving forward with my little Hepplewhite stand.
Given that the original stand was built 19 years ago, I thought it prudent to measure all the parts, as I did not measure anything back then. I simply established a comfortable height and filled the space where she was going to rest. Unfortunately, I kept no notes; at least I cannot find any, other than that simple drawing shown earlier.
So a measuring we shall go! The overall height is 28”. The sassafras top measures 7/8” thick, making the length of the legs 27-1/8”. Given that my Ambrosia maple is 3/4” thick, I will have to remember to make the length of my new cherry legs 27-1/4”. I should write that down!
Now, I can only assume George Hepplewhite is frowning down upon me as I did not taper these legs. Besides that, they are simply 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” billets from a big box store. All I did 19 years ago was chop some mortises and cut to length. Perhaps I will regain favor when I fashion my new ”tapered” legs from 8/4 cherry stock.
The width of the top measures 17-3/4”. There is a 1-1/8” overhang at the front and both sides (for reasons that allude me now, the overhang is but an inch at the back). So, from outside of leg to outside of leg the measurement is 15-1/2”. Given that the center of the draw-bore pins are 3/8” from the edge of the legs, and assuming I drilled holes for the pins just off-center of the tenons, I’ll further assume 3/4” tenons all around. Therefore, the length of the drawer rail and the back measures 14”, including tenons. The back and sides measure 4-1/2” wide. With the drawer rail at 1-1/2” wide that leaves a drawer opening of 3”.
The depth of the top measures 16-3/8”. Subtracting 2-1/8” for front and back overhang and 3” for the thickness of the legs, then adding the 1-1/2” for tenons, the sides need to be 12-3/4” in length and 4-1/2” in width.
The top cleats, drawer guides, and drawer runners will be fitted once the frame is assembled. For cut listing purposes I’ll use approximate dimensions. These parts might be scrap Ambrosia. If not, I’ll use whatever scrap pieces I have on hand (most likely poplar or pine) since they will not be seen.
Actually, the same goes for the drawer parts as it too will need to be fitted. For cut listing purposes, I’ll use approximate dimensions. The drawer front and drawer rail will be cut from one piece of 4-1/2” by 14” Ambrosia maple, with the drawer front fitted to the opening. The drawer sides and back will be whatever resawn 3/8” stock I have on hand, perhaps cherry or maple. The drawer bottom will be strips of pine or poplar. I’ll try and do a better job with the blind dovetails this go around!
So, with all that done, looks like I will be needing the following pieces:
I’ll pray for a sunny day in order to lay this out. Thanks for looking, more to come!
Hepplewhite Stand #1: What's Wrong With This Picture
Hepplewhite Stand #2: First Things First
Hepplewhite Stand #3: Lay-Out & Rough-Cut
Hepplewhite Stand #4: A Proper Edge
Hepplewhite Stand #5: Mortises - Finally!
Hepplewhite Stand #6: Frame Members Sized for Tenons
Hepplewhite Stand #7: Tapering the legs
Hepplewhite Stand #8: Completed Legs and Drawbore Pins
Hepplewhite Stand #9: The Drawer
Hepplewhite Stand #10: Final Assembly
-- Ron in Lilburn, Georgia. Knowing how to use a tool is more important than the tool in and of itself.