New bandsaw blades finally arrived, so it’s time to transform one thick inlay into several thin inlays.
One small void deep in the middle of the lamination caused one of the arcs to open up. Theoretically, I could superglue this and put it back in the form. We’ll hold onto this as a spare in case I goof one of the others.
The design also calls for two straight inlays, so I cut the vinyl for those before changing the saw setup. Stupid me, I received a sharp reminder of what happens when one’s sacrificial push block gets too chewed up. Time to chuck this one and make a new one!
Good thing vinyl is so soft and I was standing off to the side, as this flew across the garage pretty fast. No harm, no foul. Learn a lesson and game on.
Another nasty surprise when I started laying out the arcs on the substrate for the top: Major potato chippage (the far side of this piece is flat on the bench) and a delamination the size of the San Andreas had opened up on one side. Not a battle I want to fight and I’ve got a spare piece that’s big enough, so this one will probably get ripped up as ribs when I put the top together.
After transferring the layout lines, I can place the arcs in their final position. This’ll get me paper templates to rough cut the Panga veneers from an earlier post and the hourglass shaped padauk in the middle.
Thanks for all the encouragement. This’ll be a long journey into the night and it’s nice to have you all along for the trip.