I substituted my cheap temporary construction lumber jaws for some good ash jaws. I’m so glad I practiced first because originally the jaws were about 1/8th below the bench top surface. Now they are flush.
You can also see that I added some dogs and holes. I tried to cheap-out and use 3/4 wooden dowels for the dogs which will definitely get you by in a pinch, however, I think you will find replacing them all the time annoying. Also they don’t hold as well as the Veritas dogs I decided to splurge on! Man these are nice; which figures since they are made in Canada!
I never did mention the vise handle. I had a large dowel that I spoke shaved down to the proper size then I used small pieces of the original size to cap the ends. Not as nice looking as the Veritas but it saved me 5 bucks. Here’s a pic of the bench in use. I needed to flatten out my cutting board. It’s nice to have a thick, flat surface to reference off and clamp to.
And here’s a little pic of the shop reorginisation to accommodate the new bench. I just moved some shelving around. Put some lights above as well as my small fleet of planes.
That’s all for now. Immediate future plans are to round off the vise corners, put a coat of finish on, and add a shelf underneath. Stay tuned and thanks for dropping by!