LumberJocks

Making a Ventilation Grille ... A First For Me ...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RobH posted 09-30-2008 03:16 AM 886 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hey all,

I did not expect to get to this as quickly as I have at all. I had a good long afternoon thanks to a visit to the Dr. to find out why I am coughing so much. It appears to be asthmatic bronchitis, probably caused by allergies. Got some meds to take. Will mostly just have to ride this one out though.

Anyway, when I got home this afternoon I started work on the ventilation grille that will be placed in the bottom of the equipment portion of the entertainment center. There are basically four parts to this grille, they are the louver spacers, the louvers, the lover frame and the top frame. The reason I am making this is that I could not find anything that I liked to purchase. Plus, this way I push my skill level as well as use up some scrap.

I started off by making the louver frame and gluing in up. Here is the finished louver frame.

Photobucket

After this, I traced the louver frame onto a piece of plywood and worked out the lover spacing I wanted. I decided that the louvers would be 1/8” thick and the gaps between them would be 1/4”. So, I ripped some stock to 1/8” thickness and cut the spacers and the louvers to the right legnth. The picture below shows the louvers, the spacers, and the frame.

Photobucket

Now, for a trial fit. The lovers and lover spacers are fit into the frame.

Photobucket

Next, back to the tracing on the plywood to determine the dimensions needed for the upper rim of the unit. This rim will serve to allow me to install the grille in the bottom of the entertainment center. Here is a picture of the completed rim frame.

Photobucket

Finally, putting it all together, it looks like a grille.

Photobucket

I was going to mount the grille so that the grille rim was flush with the top of the bottom panel, but after looking at it, I have decided to go the easy route and let the grill rim sit proud of the bottom. It has plenty of clearance to the bottom of the stereo receiver. Now all I need to to is some sanding and a little more gluing and then I will put the frame unit together. Then it is on to cutting the hole in the bottom of the equipment compartment and cruising on to something else. I hope this has been informative for everyone. It was surely something I had never done before. I will not hesitate to do it again, it really was not that hard.

-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA



2 comments so far

View Robb's profile

Robb

660 posts in 2623 days


#1 posted 09-30-2008 06:57 PM

Rob, I’m really enjoying seeing your work coming along. Thanks for taking the time to put this out here for us to learn from!

-- Robb

View lew's profile

lew

10092 posts in 2444 days


#2 posted 09-30-2008 10:48 PM

Rob,

Looks really nice! Thanks for the idea.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase