Well, last Wednesday I got home and the weather was absolutely beautiful. I thought there would be no better time to dig the holes for the concrete pads for the play set to sit on. Well, the digging was the fun part as you can see in the following pictures.
I would loosen up some dirt in the boys holes and they were in charge of cleaning them out. They both did a really great job. Then the younger one start making a game out of putting a scoop of dirt back in to an already cleaned out hole. We all had fun, and that is what matters.
I had only planned on getting the holes dug, but the digging was easy and I had time that afternoon to mix up the concrete and get it poured into the holes. Let’s just say after digging four holes and mixing and pouring six and one half bags of concrete, I was ready for bed.
On Friday, the weather was great again. So, I tool off work a little early, and the oldest and I went into town to get the wood to start building. When we got home, my wife and I got the posts set up, plumbed and ready for starting the real build on Saturday morning. Here are a couple of shots of the state of things at the end of the day Friday.
Friday night, our oldest had a really bad flare up of his allergies. All of the pollen in the air is really causing problems with his eyes. So, we decided that we would have to keep him in on Saturday. Good thing we did, I could leave the truck sitting for 30 minutes and would have to wash the pollen off the windshield in order to see out of the truck, and our driveway was black Saturday morning and almost totally yellow by the end of the day. I am surprised it did not affect me any more than it did.
Anyway, Saturday went well except for one little thing. When buying the lumber for the set, I miscalculated. The outside corners of the 4×4 posts are 72” apart, and the band board is on the outside of 4×4 post. This made the span for the flooe boards 75”. Silly me bought 12’ boards and had them cut in half. Well, needless to say, I had to make a run into town on Saturday for more floor boards. Here are a couple more pictures of the state of the playground at the end of the day on Saturday.
Considering the problems that I had with the floor lumber, I think I got a good deal of work done.
Just in case you noticed, those are 2×6’s for the floor. We had already planned to use non-treated wood for the play surfaces. I know that the new stuff is supposed to be safe, but then again, so was the CCA stuff at one time. When I got to Lowe’s 1×6s were almost $8 a piece and the 2×6s were $5 a piece. That is the reason behind the 2×6 flooring.
I will post more this week and weekend as I get things done. Next overall goals are the ladder and the rail to keep the kids safe. More on all of this as the posts are made.
-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA