Ok, I have started back to work on the entertainment center. I had posted a couple of blog posts on this project before I took a woodworking break. Since it had been so long, and since the design had changed a little, I deleted that blog series and I have started another one. First, here is a picture of the entertainment center from the front:
A plywood carcase forms the overall structure of the piece. The frame and panel sides are put on the plywood. The top will be cherry. There are three compartments along the front of the unit. The center compartment is intended to hold the A/V equipment. Above the center compartment is a place for the center channel speaker. Here is a picture of the unit with the doors removed:
The left-most compartment is intended for other A/V equipment and in the future a home theater PC or something similar. Initially there will be a component or two in there, but for the most part it will be empty. The three holes along the front and the fans in the back of the compartment are for air transfer that will keep the electronics inside cool. Each of the fans will move on the order of 80 cubic feet per minute of air. Next is a view from the front with some more parts removed so you can better see the center compartment:
This view shows the center compartment so you can better see the center channel speaker shelf. Once again, there are fans in the back and this time a large louvered vent for bringing air in to cool the A/V equipment. The vent is positioned under the center of my amplifier so as to bring air up through the amplifier and component. There will be a shelf over the amplifier for other components This shelf will have a hole in the center, once again to allow air flow.
The right-most compartment will contain three drawers like the one shown in the pictures for holding DVDs and video games. Each of these drawers will be on fill extension slides.
Now, a view of the back side of the unit.
There are three panels covering the back each one with two louvered sections. In the first two compartments, these louvered sections are where the fans in the compartments exhaust the air that is being pulled into the compartment. Behind the panels is a 4” deep space for running cables and keeping all of the mess hidden. Here is a picture with the back opened up:
The compartment with no fans here is intended to house power strips and an Ethernet switch that will be used by other components in the system. I included a louvered panel over this section so that heat generated by the various power supply bricks, etc. can be vented to the outside. Right now there are no holes taking wires to the outside. There will be a couple somewhere, I am just not sure where yet. These holes will probably not be drilled until I am putting components in the cabinet. There are also no hole in the top for cables to pass up to the television. This will be included in the final product once I determine where I want to put that hole.
The overall dimensions will be 75-1/2” long, 29” deep, and 31-1/4” tall. My current plans are to finish it with natural oil and polyurethane. Just in case you are wondering, the whole project is being designed using Sketchup. Yes, it is big. I designed it to hold at least a 48” wide screen TV (plus little). I hope you enjoy watching the progress on the build of this project. I am hoping it will be done soon.
-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA