I decided Friday to take off from work for a half-day and came home and got to working on the table. I had to finish the final coat of polyurethane on the base pieces and then get the base together. Well, Friday and yesterday I finally got the base together. Here are the pictures.
First, an overall shot of the base:
Now, a close-up of the end support:
Another close-up. This time it is the stretcher detail:
The center support:
Finally, the foot detail shot:
Good progress for the weekend so far. Especially considering I changed out the brake pads on the front of the truck Saturday morning before I ever really got started on this.
Just as a reminder, the wood is southern yellow pine from Home Depot. The finishing started with sanding the wood to 220 grit paper. Then I applied two coats of Zinsser SealCoat, sanding between coats and after the final coat with 220 grit paper. Then I applied two coats of Minwax Polycrylic sanding between the two coats with 220 grit paper. The finish was rubbed out with Johnson’s Paste Wax and 0000 steel wool, buffing it off with a cotton rag.
Tomorrow will be a concentrated effort on the top. I am hoping to get the top built and sanded, but I am not really expecting that to happen. That just might be too much work for one day. We will see.
-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA