Beehive Handhold Cutting Jig #3: Dado Blade it is!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RoadHogg posted 02-09-2015 01:11 AM 1826 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Dado Blade vs. Shaper Cutter Part 3 of Beehive Handhold Cutting Jig series no next part

The shaper cutter was just not working out. The biggest issue was that is was just not big enough in diameter and therefore it wouldn’t go deep enough into the box side. So I checked things out with the dado blade in the SawStop. That worked 99% perfectly. I wish I’d have stuck with plan A to start with. The only issue is that yes, the dado blade “bottoms out” on the box side once the cut gets deeper than the height of the teeth. I can manage by making one revolution on the blade height and making two passes. I’ll actually be making three passes so I can get a slightly wider hand-hold scallop.

Here’s the base of the jig. It just clamps to the table saw.

I use a removable 1” strip along the right fence in order to shift the sled side to side, giving me a bit wider hand hold.

I tried to leave some gap under the side fences to allow for the copious dust and wood chips that accumulate.

The jig cuts a nice 1/2” deep scallop, that’s one revolution on the height adjustment down from full height. I do have to make two passes, lowering the blade one revolution on the crank, in order to account for the size of the blade’s teeth.

One sled for short sides, one for long sides. Place the sides with the inside up and top down toward the sled’s fence.

I want to create a dust collection chute to collect the debris. I’ll work on that later.

-- "The difference between school and real life is that in real life the tests come first, and then the lessons" -- Robert Lang,

3 comments so far

View DocK16's profile


1178 posts in 3509 days

#1 posted 02-09-2015 01:35 AM

Seems like you’re going to a lot of trouble to get this done. I have kept bees for years and have made lots of supers. I just glue and screw a 5 inch block (with a finger groove on the bottom) to the side of the super low enough to not interfere with the top outer cover and use it to lift those heavy honey filled supers. Bees don’t mind if it’s not factory cut.

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View RoadHogg's profile


124 posts in 1349 days

#2 posted 02-09-2015 01:55 AM

Thanks Dock. Yes, it does seem to be a lot of bother and I had considered doing exactly as you suggest. Two reasons I chose to give this a good try before doing that though. 1. More material and 2. More weight…I know the additional weight is minor but, my wife is the head beekeeper and I wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible for her benefit.

As it stands, the dado blade is going to work out just fine. I can’t wait to get the jig glued up and finalized, then I have to make about 22 boxes.

-- "The difference between school and real life is that in real life the tests come first, and then the lessons" -- Robert Lang,

View SASmith               's profile


1850 posts in 2409 days

#3 posted 02-09-2015 09:38 PM

Good solution.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics