Ironically, the first thing I did for this project was to glue up the huge 42” square top…over-sized of course. A long time later, I pulled it out and began to put on the finishing touches. I bought a “Thumbnail” router bit from Lee Valley and I ran that around the edges. Of course, I worked a long time to make sure the top was square etc.
I built an extended router base to help stabilize the router while routing the edge detail (thanks Mark!).
I ran a 1/4” round-over bit along the bottom edge to complete the edge profile. (picture taken after stain)
I then sanded everything up to 220 but I went to 320 on the end grain. This helped prevent the stain from soaking into the end grain pores more than the face and edge grain. The stain worked out very even so I’d say that trick worked well.
All I have to do now is attach the top and drill some holes and screws through the base and into the feet, just to add some mechanical attachment to the case. Then I can re-install the drawer rails and drawers, then off to get some lacquer sprayed on it.
-- "The difference between school and real life is that in real life the tests come first, and then the lessons" -- Robert Lang, ReadWatchDo.com