Let's Build an Infill the Easy Way! #2: It's Cleaning Up Nice

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ripthorn posted 04-22-2016 01:34 AM 850 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Roughing it Out Part 2 of Let's Build an Infill the Easy Way! series no next part

I don’t have a ton of pictures for this entry, as I got a little carried away on the tasks I was doing. I looked at it and decided that the bun placement could go one of two ways:


I got finish on the tote and bun. I decided that for now I won’t make a decision on bun placement, though I am leaning towards the more forward position because it allows for better hand grip on the bun and more room for chip ejection. The only con is that it looks a little funnier. Oh well.

After 4 coats of Formby’s low gloss tung oil finish, I did a coat of paste wax. I’ll do one more before I call it good. I apply the paste wax with gray scotch-brite, as it helps really smooth out the surface and makes it feel silky smooth.

Of course a mockup is necessary:

For now I am planning to use the stock iron and chipbreaker, as well as the stock lever cap just until I can make a new lever cap with a nice thumb screw. For this, I needed to drill for and insert a threaded insert. #10 is all I have, I would have liked 1/4” but oh well.

Because of the dimensions for the head, shoulder, and threaded portion, I had to turn up a custom screw. I started with 3/8” mystery steel that I had kicking around. Stock lever cap screws are about 3/8” head diameter, with a .287” shaft and threaded something really weird. A little larger than 1/4”. Probably #14 or something. Anyway, I turned the .287” to .293” for a little tighter fit on mine, then turned down to .185” to thread #10-24. I polished it on the lathe a little and then went to slot it. Slotting this was down really low tech, but a way that I find works really well. I took a piece of 1/8” thick aluminum scrap and drilled and tapped #10-24. I threaded my screw in as far as it would go and put a nut on the back to secure it. I then put the aluminum piece in my drill press vise vertically. I set my drill press speed to 3000 RPM (max speed), chucked up a cutting disc and mandrel for a dremel, and set the height to be right in the center. I left a tiny nub from the lathe to make this easier. Then I turned on the drill press and too slow, shallow passes until I got a slot the right depth. I wanted it a little wider, so I lowered the disc about another 1/64” and continued. Once I was satisfied with the screwdriver fit, I removed it and took a triangle file to the slot just to ease the hard corners. Polish it up with some gray scotch-brite, et viola:

After that, I wire wheeled the iron, chip breaker, and lever cap along with the plane body. Then it all got a coat of paste wax to prevent rust. it has been really rainy here, so I want the protection:

All in all, this has taken me a little while. I also opened up the mouth another 1/32” or so. I did this in the milling machine with a 1/8” end mill. Worked great.

Total time in so far: ~8 hours…? I have no clue.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

6 comments so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

9325 posts in 3473 days

#1 posted 04-22-2016 04:10 AM

That is a beautiful plane…

... almost TOO pretty to use! :)

Very COOL work!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View Ripthorn's profile


1402 posts in 2406 days

#2 posted 04-22-2016 12:15 PM

Thanks, Joe. It is pretty, and the tote has the most amazing feel. However, it will get used. This will be my first 50 degree smoother.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View Don W's profile

Don W

17878 posts in 1989 days

#3 posted 04-22-2016 01:44 PM

How do you plan to hold the infill in place? Nice job so far.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

View Ripthorn's profile


1402 posts in 2406 days

#4 posted 04-22-2016 06:24 PM

Don, I’m just going to use epoxy. I left the tote threaded boss and the point in tact after milling to give it some positive engagement. My last one I did like this was just straight epoxy and has held up fine 4 years later.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View Don W's profile

Don W

17878 posts in 1989 days

#5 posted 04-22-2016 09:11 PM

I have a.couple that has held up as well, but the one (of course it had to be one I sent off) I sold Terry came apart. He thinks his postman (think of the guy in the Chevy Chase movie) may have played a role, but ever since I’ve pinned them or used the bolt, even if I hid the bolt after using it.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

View Roger's profile


19714 posts in 2225 days

#6 posted 04-23-2016 01:33 AM

That’s a nice piece o eye candy

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics