Been gone for a bit and my last post was really venting cause I has so much momentum going into this…
Carcass is done and fitting the front… BUt here is catching up to where I am now…
So We Left with some side’s dado’ed and ready to do something with…
First I cut the Shelves to Width, (They are gonna be “PROUD” of the front of the case so that I can trim them to fit later so they are like 1/8ish bigger).
Then I made a flipper For my Panel Saw Jig. You set this up measuring from the flipper to the saw blade. ( I “rough” cut my boards +1/2 3/4’ so that I can do this with confidence).
First you Leave the Flipper up and trim the one side square…
Then You Flip the Board End for End… And flip the Flipper down and make the cut.
“6 Perfect shelves now”
SO that done… I am gonna pre-finish the shelves and the interior walls… So Were gonna whip out my favorite… Shellac… Zinser NO WAX Paint Sealer is really a One Pound Cut of Clear Shellac….
First I tape up the edges so the glue can work.. using 3/4 blue tape so that the front edge is protected.. I just try and get close I will fix it later as it will be in shadows and not so glaring. You want to guestimate the depth of your dado’s on the shelves edges. Just lay the shelf so that it overhangs and youll be able to see through the tape enough to tape the side edges (about 5/8’ on my shelves). Turn the tape over the end of the edge and then run a strip down the front
Then I use a sponge brush and lay it on.. Its not important right now to make it perfect… Were gonna level it later but no puddles… you want to stroke it all the way from end to end. The brush loads up alot when you first put it down its gonna puddle bad.. So tap the middle of the board and leave the puddle there.. then start at the edge and go right acrost and thru the puddle.. then tap and try another.. IF it drys out, no big deal load it up and try again.. the key is to go all the way acrost the surface and lift. Once your thru the entire batch, give the inside Case Sides a coat taking care not to drip into the Dado’s and then go over everything with 320/400 (either or) and clean up the nibs. The shellac is not very thick just knock the nubs down. Wipe the surfaces with a clean cloth and flip them and repeat (just leave the Sides alone they need more shellac so give them another coat).
We should now have two Shelve sides with coat on them (and two coats on the Case Walls). The Walls are done so lets do one more coat on the shelves. So Put the Third Coat on the Shelves, BUT This time NO Sanding… Were gonna level them up.
Get you your favorite wax and some 4 O (4 xxxx) Steel wool. Dab up some wax and rub the wax aorund in circles like you buffing your car out.. It will look messy and turn dark (its the bits of steel) but keep it up till its really easy to rub it around. Then get a clean cloth and Rub With the grain HARD… You should have a satin shiny Shelve when your done… (yea its brutal.. but silky smooth).
SO…. Now Glueing up comes…. (needed alot more clamps) But since I am painting this with milk paint I said screw it and used a Brad gun and shot 16 Gauge Nails. (the Norm in me called out). Its clamped at the top as it is set into a rabbet not dado’ed in.. in the end it came out just fine…
The Bead Board I bought comes in a shrink wrapped package. Each Pack covers about 50% of the back I bough Two of them and cheated setting them up. You Leave them in the package (Make sure the ends are straight) and then just cross cut the whole pile of them with you Circular/Hand Saw … (works perfect!) (I left them a bit long and used a flush trip bit to clean them later)
I didn’t glue these just tacked them into the back of each shelve they start in the Rabbet and run across the back..
At the end I ripped the tongue off the last piece (no way to fit it in there) and then ripped it to fit into the space left. I left enough room so that I could use some small scraps to push it against the last full size piece. Then I nailed that in too.. (photo is seeing if it fit ok, not fixed in place yet.. fit fine)
- A note about this Tiny Tongue and groove stuff…. It sometimes goes together like “Duh” no worries. But other times it will make you pull your hair out. I found that if you start it carefully and then try to tap it your gonna crack something. These things go crazy out of the shrink wrap (Probably why they sell it that way). What I found that works better is to use a Caul of scrap and a Big Bessy Clamp or your choice of one. Fix it in the middle and use it to gently get it close.. then align the ends so that they are seated and crank the piece into place… Was a God send as it was like the second package was made metric or something.. *
I then Flipped it on its back and put two coats of Shellac on the inside of the bead board… (just to match the interior) You don’t have to shine it up, I did sand it lightly so there was nothing sticking up…
And there ya have it… Saturday in Bradenton… 48-62 Degrees… Toasty.. I did notice it took a long time for the shellac to set up so be careful… If you feel “drag” on the brush.. STOP and get more shellac. You can also use a soft junk brush or you can use a really great one (and do the clean up, I’m not into clean up) I buy the foam brushed in bundles of 50 for next to nothing at the flea market here.. (5 -6 bucks).
Have a good one… Tomorrow I’m building the face frame… ( oh the pain Wil Robinson)
-- Duct Tape is the Force! It has a light side and a dark side and it Binds the Universe together!