The Front Vice is installed and the table is looking more and more like one… OH and I am using the vice already to help hold stuff!
Today I drilled all the holes for the bench appliances (dogs, stays, hold downs etc…) I plan on only using 3/4” fixtures so decided that
a) They had to be square to the top
b) Had to be spaced so that they would all work together.
To that end I first measured out the distance my Vice would open to and then came up with spacing to accommodate the entire bench top so that it would hold anything I wanted to screw down on it.
The Vice opens to 12” (more actually) but 12” is fine as Id hate for the thing to unscrew and land on my foot!
Next thing we need to do is make out the hole positions.
I first marked the center of the Vice outside jaw in each side and then walked that mark down both sides of the bench. The spacing I used was 12”, 12”, 16” 16” 16”....... till I ran out of bench then I measured 4” from the Far end and marked that off…
Next we have to make the holes. Trying to meet “b” above I decided to use my plunge router and make a JIG that would allow me to start all the holes as square as I can… then I finished them up with the Brace and a 3/4” bit.
The jig fits the profile of the router base and its marked as to where the hole center is. I cut it out of a scrap and used my bandsaw to get it right.
Now I simply positioned the Jig and clamped it place and slowly bored out all the holes…
(this got them to about 1 1/2 deep).
I then took my brace and drilled out the holes all the way through the top… I used a scrap clamped across the underside of the table to reduce blow out.
And there you have it!
Next is the leg vice.. I have it made and need to work on the leg to fit it…
Back next week…
-- Duct Tape is the Force! It has a light side and a dark side and it Binds the Universe together!