With the updated system, I needed 6” blast gates for my shop. I was not very happy with the metals ones and the price of them. So, like others, I decided to make my own.
For the gates, I would need to have one side be able to mate to the SDR35 6” wyes that I was using so this required a securely fitting the 6” pipe. In addition, I needed to be able to make accurate slide parts and various inlet parts.
To do this, I made several templates which were sized to produce the appropriate sized holes accurately and in the right place so they would mate properly when assembled. I made the templates using a scroll saw and an oscillating spindle sander. The various templates were held to a base which had locating pins and then the parts were routed using a bushing and 3/8” spiral router bit.
For the side which fit into the 6” wye, I cut the hole and then a rabbit for the pipe to fit in. The pipe was roughed up along the edge and glued using medium set epoxy.
I built gates with both a 5” and 4” reducer for the inlet side of the blast gate. The holes were routed and then sanded on the spindle sander so the metal just fit inside. It was then secured with several sheet metal screws and sealed with silicon.
The center slider was made from 1/4” baltic birch and all parts finished with amber shellac and then waxed. The parts were assembled with 10-24 machine screws on the corners and with eyebolts in the middle. I use the eyebolts at times to help secure a hose to the gate. All of the holes for the machine screws were made using a template so that parts are interchangeable. When I put them together, I did need to do a little shimming to get a smooth action.
I ended up making several different blast gates configurations including one with a 6” to 5” reducer, a 6” to 4” reducer and a couple of others and spare parts to make changes when needed.