I started breaking down the pile parts that you could call a unisaw.
Despite the heavy surface rust, the tops cleaned up pretty nice. ~1.5 hours total time to remove the top and extension wings run a wire wheel across them then hit with 100—>220 grit in the ROS and coat with some wax. I wasn’t sure if the tops were too far gone, but so far so good. I’ll probably run one more polish (fine sanding) and waxing before final install, but for now it’s one big item off the check list.
Next up was breaking down the guts of the saw. For that I followed the excellent tutorial over on vintage machinery.org
In a nutshell there are two methods
1. Remove height and angle adjustment handles, hammer out the tapered pins holding the bearings & worm gear, slide each shaft out, then remove the guts (arbor bracket, trunion assembly, yoke, etc)
2. Remove the rear trunion bracket, pull the yoke off, then the front trunion bracket
Step 1 was going well until I tried getting that worm gear to break free. No amount of PB Blaster, heat/ice, “gentle convincing” could break that corrosion hold. On to step 2.
Step 2 started out fine. The rear trunion bracket came off easy. The front trunion was another story; the yoke was corroded to the front trunion. It took an overnight soak in pb blaster, plus some hammering, prying cussing to get any type of play in that connection. Finally was able to break it free and wiggle the yolk out.
Nothing major looks to be missing or broken (yet). Once I can get the guts cleaned and fully disassembled I’ll have a better idea. I know I am in for a new set of pulleys, bearings, electrical components and a couple minor things (trim pieces, etc).
Hope to start the paint on the cabinet over the coming weekend. Will give me a chance to put my new pressure blaster through the paces.