LumberJocks

Saddle / Tack Caddy #5: Caddy / Top

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RandyMorter posted 04-10-2011 07:00 PM 1726 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Drawers & Drawer Case Part 5 of Saddle / Tack Caddy series Part 6: Prototype Assembly - 4/17/2011 »

I made some progress on the actual caddy portion, including it’s base box, on 4/9/2011 (and on Sunday, 4/10/2011 I rested lol – my back and feet are needing some aspirin!).

This portion wasn’t terribly difficult. For the actuall caddy portion I used a bit more of the 7” wide pine I had. I cut a couple of lenghts to the 15” width I needed. I used spray adhesive to stick them together, being mindful of orienting the cupping the same way.

I have NOT milled much of this material prior to use – and some of the joints show it. This is a conscious decision – this prototype MAY have some useful parts but I’m not counting on it other than to get the experience out of it and to try some design ideas.

I traced the circle using a lid from one of my wife’s pans (I need to get some trammel points…). I cut it on the band saw, staying about 1/16” or so outside the line on the waste side. Then I used my Ridgid sander for the final shaping.

I’m glad and thankful I have those tools – I don’t have to try to figure out how to do that sort of thing. It’s such a change from when I made my Adirondack chair where I had to figure out how to do everything because I didn’t have the tools I wanted to use.

I had decided to rip the slats from 3x pine – it was cheaper to buy the larger pine than to buy the pieces ripped to size. I got to try out my new Freud LU88R010 blade (yeah, I know it’s not specifically for this purpose) and was really happy with the results.

I made a quick little stop / jig for my drill press to drill the clearance holes in the end of each slat. I happened to have exactly 20 appropriate wood screws on hand and attached the slats by starting with the bottom slats on each side. I held the slats in place, started the screw pilot hole with my hand held cordless drill, then pulled the slat away and finished drilling the pilot holes.

I attached each slat and then put a couple of spacers on the installed slat to set the position of the subsequent slats until I was done.

For the box under the caddy, the sides extend past the frame on one side for the handle. On the other end I used a box joint but for the cross piece by the handle I used another French dovetail joint. I had to use my Grizzly miter in my Bosch table to cut these but once I figured out how to do it they were pretty easy. I like the looks of these joints too – they’re hidden from the top.

I still need to pick up the hinge to complete this portion. I know I have an unresolved issue at this point – how to use a hinge and have the necessary clearance for the slat on the hinge side. I may also need / want to add some sort of latch on the non-hinge side to keep the caddy from twisting or opening during transit. But, here it is so far:

I did do a test fit using my wife’s saddles and it fits great. Both a western and english saddle (I think that’s what they’re called).

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ



3 comments so far

View Dave's profile

Dave

11168 posts in 1498 days


#1 posted 04-11-2011 02:54 AM

Looking very nice Randy. She should get some very good use of your project.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Robsshop's profile

Robsshop

813 posts in 1633 days


#2 posted 04-11-2011 05:16 AM

Hey there Randy,came across Your saddle caddy blog and thought You might find this project I put together interesting ! A coworker who is into horses asked me if I would put something together for his saddles. It is in My projects page”saddle buck”. Anyway it looks like Your caddy project is shaping up nicely,continued success !

-- Rob,Gaithersburg,MD,One mans trash is another mans repurposed wood shop treasure ! ;-)

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

227 posts in 1349 days


#3 posted 04-11-2011 04:39 PM

Thanks Super Dave! She probably won’t use this one much since it’s just the prototype (I’m not even sure if I’ll bother gluing it up since the joints aren’t that great). I’m getting anxious to make the “real” version with some milled wood. That may actually speed up the process.

Thanks Rob! Your saddle buck looks very nice. My wife uses a metal stand that looks like something from walmart (but I’ll bet it didn’t cost like it was from walmart). I sent her your picture – maybe she’ll want one like yours too!

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase