Well, this is my way of getting my ideas out and get some solid advise.
About 3 weeks ago my daughter, who is 2, tore the false fronts of her $60 Walmart dresser. This is just what I needed. I started thinking about building her a good dresser. However, to this point I have only built one project (my drafting table that I will post soon).
As I started looking at designs for dressers, I discovered all called for dove tail joints. This revelation scared the crap out of me. So, I called my uncle, who is a expert furniture maker, and asked his advice. He explained to me that a box joint would be a good a way to get started in furniture making. As well as a good way to work up to doing dove tails. He also told me I could buy a dove tail jig, but after looking at the cost (anywhere from $120.00 to $600.00) I decided to start with box joints.
I joined this site and found some great examples of box joint cutting jigs. Most were for the table saw, however, I own a Ryobi folding contractors saw that doesn’t have a regular miter gauge slot. I did find one that was made and set for a routing table. (Thank You, Wingstress!) But, that meant I need to build a routing table…Isn’t it funny how one project brings about 3 others? Well, I guess in the beginning.
I decided the old dresser shouldn’t go to waste. I (by coincidence) found this might actually make a great routing table and cabinet.
Three nights ago I started taking measurements and sketching out the details. This is one of my favorite things to do, and I usually spend a lot of time on it. However, I figured this was a need now system.
Two nights ago, I got the basics worked out and starting the prep phase. I decided that I would chop about 6 to 8 inches of the bottom of the carcass, and reinforce the outside with a exoskeleton of red oak. The carcass has a white oak laminate and I figured the mix of red and white oak colors would make a nice looking project. Even though it is fake.
Yesterday, I started the taredown of the dresser. I found that the base of the carcass was not what I thought it was and had to be cut off completely. This left me with only the top and 2 sides of the carcass.
I also found that without the original base I was going to need to reinforce the inside of the carcass itself as well. So, I pulled out some construction pine 2×4’s and ripped them down in both directions to give me 3/4” x 3” peices for the inside. I set them aside to see if they would warp or twist.
I had already made the router table top last weekend, now I need to laminate it, add the groove for the router plate, and miter slots.
I will post my pics and progress later today. Thanks for reading.
-- Semper Fi, Randy Sr.