LumberJocks

Lego Table #14: Fixing the sliding bottom...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RaggedKerf posted 12-11-2015 11:01 PM 904 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Sliding bottom idea... Part 14 of Lego Table series no next part

I had a eureka moment last night. How to get the false bottoms on the bins to slide in and out? I had envisioned two pieces of thin plywood or hardboard, sliding out through the sides, which allow all the collected Legos to fall out through the open bottom.

I had devised a few different ways to achieve this goal, but all of them included little guide rails sandwiching the moving part. It was all very complicated and involved tiny pieces.

Then it came to me: why not just cut the bottom off the sides, cut a notch and glue the bottom back on? Instant support! Like this:

Then I notched the middle pieces to allow free movement of the false bottom and installed it. I used glue and my brad nailer, but for some reason, completely forgot to get a picture of the actual fun part. Instead, you have a picture of the middle glued up and clamped, ready for nailing.

You can see part of the blue playing area there on the right. It will be installed much closer to the bin. Right now I just have it sitting there for storage. When the paint fully cures, I’ll move it to the basement for safe keeping until assembly time.

In the meantime, here’s a shot of the installed side pieces and the back (that line next to the right edge of the tubafore). I had to make the front piece next, a 27” long, 4” wide piece of that MDF core 1/4” ply. Because of the angle of the sides, though, I needed to bevel the edge of the front piece. My only option was a block plane:

Which worked like a charm. Then I had to install a small strip of wood for the false bottom to ride on as it’s pulled out. This was simply glued on to the bottom of the backer piece. It was a tricky position to clamp, so I used all my smallest clamps…

But the result was what I wanted! Not the straightest cut, but it’s going to be sanded and will be hidden 99% of the time.

Next time, I’ll have to tackle the inside front edge of the bin—I test fit a false bottom and while it slid out nicely, riding on the bottom rail, it wanted to go all cock-eyed because there was nothing holding it from the front. Easy enough.

-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com