After a quick check on the wounded drawer to see how things were drying, I came to the conclusion that my repair work accomplished it’s goal. The drawer is nice and sturdy again after the glue. However, I’m a little concerned about the depth of the router cut. I may have to redo this one.
I decided to shelve the drawers and move on with the other trickery needed to finish the top. I need to make the little bins on the wings that will collect Legos the kids scoop off the main play surface. So! Here we go.
I started by making a template out of scrap hardboard laying around. Here’s the shape I want for the side pieces—just enough of an angle to get the Legos to fall to the bottom but nothing to terribly steep. About 45 degrees.
I took the 1/2” plywood stock over to the monster 9” bandsaw and cut out the shapes. I swear, since changing the blades to an Olson 6 TPI, this things cuts great! Really makes the bandsaw into a very usable part of my workshop. I’m not looking for ways to use it…
Before long I had all the pieces cut out (including the middle pieces). Then it was back to the bandsaw to rip the 27” long front pieces for the bins.
These came out a little wobbly, despite my best efforts (the stock was too wide to use my shop made ripping fence) at hand feeding. I just stayed a little past the layout line and trimmed it up with the hand planes.
Back to the sides. To allow the backing (1.4” maple—MDF core—plywood) to sit flush, I wanted to rout a rabbet in the side pieces.
It came out pretty good for my first time doing it this way!
Time for a dry fit! Now you can see a little better what I’m planning…The backing slid in just perfect! Really getting excited—I’ve never attempted this before.
Now it’s time to sit back and think some more about how I’m going to rig up a sliding bottom for this thing. I’ve got a few options floating around but they all include lots of Little support blocks glued into inconvenient places.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com