First order of business was to get the wood cut to length for the top and bottom boxes. I pulled out the miter saw station from hibernation and started cutting. Despite not being used for over a year, she worked just fine and in no time, I had my parts ready to go.
I decided to use pocket hole screws and glue to attach the end pieces to the side pieces on both the top and bottom boxes (the bottom will have a layer of 1/2” plywood to stiffen things up and provide a shelf).
Once I had all the holes drilled—I love that Kregg jig!!!—I realized that my bench (still half-covered by a year’s worth of in activity) just wasn’t big enough to assemble this table. The table will be 50” long and 29 1/2” deep by 28” high.
Bring on the sawhorses! I love it—I just made these things and already they’re proving their worth. I pulled out the plywood I’ll be using to make the base shelf (4’x4’ of 1/2” ACX for those of you keeping score at home) and placed it across the horses. Instant assembly table!
Then all I had to do was add some glue to the joints and screw things home. In minutes, I had a perfectly square frame. I then drilled pocket holes in the tubafore supports that will stretch across the inside of the upper box and create a surface for the MDF play area to rest on. I put in four of these supports.
Only then—as nap time ended—did I realize I should have checked better to make sure the tubafores were lined up:
Not bad honestly, but I can do better. First thing to do when I get back to the shop is move those bad boys and make everything flush and level.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com