Had a little time today and thanks to the Kreg jig, made a lot of progress, relatively speaking.
First up, I used the coping saw to make a duplicate shelf for the upper stage. Then I cut out a rectangular shelf for the very top and sanded everything smooth and to the correct size for a snug fit.
Out came the Kreg and in a few minutes I had pocket holes drilled for all the shelves, glue applied and screwed in place. Once clamps were applied to the sides, I came back and drilled pilot holes into the shelves from the outside (I’m burning through a lot of Kreg screws between this and the Castle Bookcase and for these little shelves I decided to use regular ones….it’s all getting primed and painted so why not).
And here’s the result!
All that remains will be a little brace, likely cut with the scroll saw, right in the middle of the top shelf, to give support and visual interest to the very top of the plywood backing.
So I couldn’t resist putting everything together for a dry fit. Even without braces and screws and the middle transition section, it stands tall and secure! Woohoo!
Here’s a side view showing the tapering of the shelves as you go higher…just like a real rocket!
Total time today: 1 hour, thirty minutes.
Total time: 10 hours, 30 minutes.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com