Haven’t had a lot of shop time in the past week, too many tasks around the house and yesterday was a complete wash (rain all day makes for stir-crazy kids). But, I did get out there today and made some sawdust.
First I took the random orbital sander to the coopered first stage section and smoothed it out into a nice purty arch.
Then I got busy cutting and planing the sides of the second stage. I want to let the final design of the hatch on the coopered section of the first stage percolate for a few days before I get back to it.
Once the sides of the second stage were pocket screwed and glued in place, I began work on the bottom shelf, which is curved like the others, only half as deep. Ironically, I got better, smooth results—-even faster—-from the hand powered coping saw than from that P.O.S. Black and Decker jigsaw we have. Amazing.
This shelf will be the template for cutting the other two so I am taking my time and getting it right.
Then I put it all together for a progress picture. I’m liking how this is turning out!
Time today: 1 hour.
Total time: 10 hours.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com