Castle Bookcase #14: Prepping for Paint

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RaggedKerf posted 08-16-2013 10:57 PM 867 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Drawbridge and Blog Anniversary Part 14 of Castle Bookcase series Part 15: Paint, Paint, and More Paint »

I wrapped up the final bits necessary before painting in the past few days. Here’s the rundown on what I’ve been up to…

First, I sanded everything. This took a whole day’s session…there’s a lot of surface area on this beastie.

When satisfied the kids won’t get any splinters and everything was nice and smooth, I worked on the draw bridge. I used the router table to rout vertical grooves to simulate planks. Like so:

Oops, the picture is rotated. Well, you get the idea. Next, I routed two 1/4” wide grooves horizontally and glued in some 1/4” square dowels I had laying around.

Now it’s looking like a proper wooden door. But it was a little hard to grip. I thought a out putting a knob on, but that would encourage Kylie to snap it off. Then I considered having a rope come through from the back and make a rope handle….but that wouldn’t look right to my eye. Then I happened to be in the car trying to referee a fight in the backseat at the grocery store when inspiration struck:

There in front of me was the window controls…just a hollowed out part that lets you get a finger under the button! I could do that! So I whipped out the carving chisels and hollowed out a notch under the upper crossbar:

After a few test pulls from Kylie and Keaton, I finalized the slot and sanded it smooth. Best part is, if you’re not looking for it, it looks like there is no handle!

All I had to do was stain it! So I took an old Minwax ebony stain pen and filled in the grooves. It bled a little, so after drying, I simply sanded off the offending stain, leaving nice smooth dark grooves. I then applied a Minwax honey oak stain to the whole thing and wiped it down. Here’s the result:

Looks a proper drawbridge now!

With that done (I’ll add a layer or six to finish it when the castle is painted), I turned back to the castle. Detail time!

I plan on putting Kylie’s name on the toy storage front, so I went Michaels and picked up some wooden letters:

These will be primed and painted a contrasting color and glued to the bookcase later. I also picked up a laser-cut frame and mirror to install under the middle tower platform:

This is gonna be awesome….I decided to go ahead and finally attach the middle tower while I was at it:

Once the frame was trimmed with the coping saw (there were a few too many pointed fleur de lis that stuck out a little too far…) I made the last of the crenelations for the back. This is decorative and it will keep anything from falling down behind the bookcase:

Then, at last, it was time to prime. Last night after the kids went down I spent 2 hours priming the the bookcase and mirror frame. It is just flat white, but now that everything is a uniform color, it looks great!

I cannot wait to got get the paint and start the final steps….paint and shellac and install the drawbridge and she’s ready for books!!

Time today (three days): 6 hours.

Total time: 27 hours.

-- Steve

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics