Well, time sure does fly. I was 1 year ago today that I started this blog with dreams of building my own workbench in my head. Here’s the first post, just for laughs.
Today, after I spent 30 minutes adding wood epoxy to all the cracks and gaps (more than I’d like but fewer and smaller than would have been the case last year!), I set to work on the drawbridge
In concept, it’s simply a piece of wood (I used 3/4” pine) cut to fit the shape the opening. I rounded all the edges, and used hand planes to roundover the edges that rub the sides of the opening.
The hinge is made but drilling 1/8” hole in the sides of the cabinet. Then I put corresponding holes in the sides of the door. The trick was, I couldn’t fit my fit in the opening (ah the joys of changing plans mid-project). So I found a smaller bit that fit in my impact driver which had just about 1/32” clearance.
I took a small piece of 1/8” oak dowel and using a utility knife and sandpaper, narrowed the diameter of the left dowel to fit the small hole. Then on the right side the dowel could go straight through.
Here’s a picture of the door closed:
You can see the dowel sticking out of the right side in the above picture. When I’m done with the door, I’ll cut the dowel flush. After some very slight trimming of the bottom of the door for a smoother fit, it fit perfectly and pivots nice and smooth. I credit Peter Follansbee's blog with the idea, though he uses these pegged hinges as lids for boxes. And HE got the idea from 17th century craftsmen.
Here’s the door open:
Next up, I need to attach the ropes, a handle of sorts, and finish the decorations on the drawbridge. I’m thinking it’s going to have routed grooves to simulate planks. Should be pretty cool!
Time today: 1 hour.
Total time: 21 hours.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com