LumberJocks

Castle Bookcase #10: Modifying the Turrets

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RaggedKerf posted 08-16-2013 10:43 PM 647 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: We Got Turrets! Part 10 of Castle Bookcase series Part 11: Gluing the Turrets »

I took the opportunity today to cut doorways in the sides of the turrets per Sara’s suggestion. With the razor saw and a box cutter it was not difficult. I sketched out two Medieval looking arch doorways and cut them out.

Once the turrets were finalized, I grabbed the scrap 1/8” hardboard (leftover from the back I cut out a while back) and used the scrollsaw to cut out two semi-circles to make “ceilings” for the little turret rooms. Here’s the glue-up in progress:

In the above picture you’re looking up through the “floor”. You can see the door there in the middle. The ceiling hardboard is drying here. And here is both turrets drying:

After these were gluing, I pulled out the semi-circular pieces for the turret bases and sanded everything smooth to final shape. That took most of my shop time today. Once the ceilings are dry, I can glue the turrets up and attach to the bookcase.

Time today: 1hour, 15 minutes.

Total Time: 13 hours, 15 minutes.

-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com