This is a short post but has a picture that shows more than I can write. I cut the sonotube up in two 12” long segments (the sonotube, used for pouring concrete pillars, is 8” in diameter and made of a heavy duty wax lined cardboard—-in short the Japanese saw cut through it like butter!). On those two sections (the kids got the 4’ of scrap to play with lol) I cut out a semi-circle, leaving half the tube open for 7”. That left a 5” tall tube trailed by 7” of half a tube. So when I put it on the bookcase like so:
We have two turrets sticking off the side of the bookcase! I went ahead and measured, then cut (using the scrollsaw) semi-circles to fit the bases of the towers….and then I cut increasingly smaller semi-circles to make a step pattern for the bases of the turrets:
Of course they are upside down right now…but when installed will give the bottom of the turrets a little decorative flair.
Sara came up with an idea to make little toy compartments in the side turrets so that will be accomplished before I connect the turrets properly….
But you can see from this full view shot of the dry fit that its starting to really look like a castle!
Time today: 1 hour
Total Time: 12 hours
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com