LumberJocks

Castle Bookcase #5: Trim

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RaggedKerf posted 08-16-2013 10:34 PM 450 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Carcase Assembly Part II Part 5 of Castle Bookcase series Part 6: Trim Part II »

Today was a short day in the shop. I had to split my time between the bookcase and weeding, trimming some bushes and planted a rosebush. The sun finally broke through the clouds and the rain we’ve been socked with for the past week so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get some yardwork done during naptime.

That said, I did accomplish something today: I fired up the new router table for the first trial run and it was an unqualified success! Despite its humble appearance (no fancy router plates or shiny fences or accessories here!), my scrap built table made short work of the 14s and after a couple passes I had 6 feet of trim moulding ready for the bookcase.

Unfortunately, today was not without frustration. The 14 I thought, would be too tall to safely cut with the tailed miter saw, so I decided to use the old plastic Stanley hand-powered miter box. Turns out the saw didn’t want to play nice and I ended up cutting a new miter i the box. Yellow plastic sawdust does look pretty on the workbench though….

Anyway, I had to scrap the miter box. On closer inspection, it had many such cuts. It’s a wonder I hadn’t thrown it out long since. I think I’ll make my own out of hardwood next, for when the tailed miter saw is overkill.

I set up the tailed saw—-heh heh, now the only miter saw in the shop—-and got things clamped in place. Turns out the 1×4 standing on edge isn’t too tall after all…but not by much! Two quick cuts later and I had a handsome piece of moulding custom made in my own shop! How cool is that!?

Ummmm….well not as cool as I thought. Turns out I made it 1/16” too short. Awesome. The side pieces are great but on one side the corner is…you guessed it, 1/16” off. That just rankled me so I routed another board (thank goodness I habitually buy extra lumber for projects) and this time got the measurement right.

The picture above doesn’t do the base moulding justice, so here’s another shot of the left side. I think it looks pretty good for my third ever attempt at using the router. Obviously it’s not entirely in the spot it’s supposed to be—-I just slapped it up there so you could see what it looked like on the base of the bookcase.

Sadly, I ran out of time to attach said trim, so that will have to wait for tomorrow. But hey, I impressed my wife and that meant today was a success! Although, I’m not sure if she was impressed because I successfully crafted my own moulding or that I didn’t lose any fingers in the process…

Time for today: 1 hr

Total time: 5 hrs, 15 min

-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com