Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details.
Over the past week I have spent all my free time in the shop cutting more dovetails. I have, I am happy to report, improved my abilities and speed. The first joint, from the last post, took about 2.5 hours. The next one only took about 2 hours. The third one, where I changed methods only took about 1.5 hours and was much cleaner and required less effort to fit. It was my best one yet! Here’s the photos:
This here is number #2. The middle tail looks busted but it’s not…the walnut had a slight rough spot on the end-grain when I glued it up…I was aware of it when I glued up the side but as I used all the walnut I had, there was no option but to use it. One of the sides was just going to have a nasty spot. So I put it in the back right corner where hopefully it won’t get too much notice. I’m tempted to try and fill it with sawdust and glue and sand/file/plane (not in that order) to make it look better. Here it is from another angle:And below is the third join….It’s on the left in the picture above. The last join is the upper left one, yet to be cut in this photo.
- I started this project using the Paul Sellers coping saw method. It worked, but I have nowhere near the skill with the coping saw required to get clean lines. The test box and the first two joins on this project proved that to me. I switched instead to Kari Hultman's chisel method to remove waste and I couldn’t be happier. I am much better with chisels than the coping saw.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com