Flush with my modest progress in the last post, I decided to jazz up the little box some before attaching the bottom (which I have already cut and have waiting for installation). I drew out some lines and squares on the front of the box and made a nice little border on the top and bottom.
Here’s the first shot, after I had already completed the top border. It went surprisingly fast. Took about 10 minutes to lay it out and 5 minutes to carve it.
Then I drew the pattern for the bottom—-this is what I did for the top, by the way. After 5 minutes of carving (during which I noticed my knife starting to dull…so guess what happesn next time!) I had this:
Now the front of the box has a nice (for me) little pattern. Oddly enough, it’s either a series of triangles or (like I see it) an undulating ribbon that’s “raised”. I think if I darken the triangles and the lines, it will make the ribbon “pop”. We’ll see what it looks like when I carry the pattern around all four sides…
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com