For the version with pictures, please click here.
I didn’t have a lot of time today between getting batches of Sky Fort parts prepped for installation. But, I did have just enough time to work on plugging the bolt holes in top.
I picked up a 1”x36” oak dowel from the BORG and measured the depth of each bolt hole individually. Then I transferred the measurement to the dowel and used a coping saw to get a nice clean cut.
After some pounding with the rubber mallet (being real careful not to hit the surface of the top for fear of leaving an ugly black mark!) I got the first one to fit with minimal sanding. That says a lot because the dowel was 1” in diameter and I used a 7/8” paddle bit. That was a wobbly hole indeed.
Anyway, once the first one was in, it was just a matter of paring it close to the top with the chisels until flush. Not much to say really. Here’s what it looked like when it was all said and done (and I gave it a kiss of 220 sandpaper to smooth the rough spots).
Then it was a pretty quick job on the next one (the other bad hole). The third one was the first of the good clean holes and it took a lot longer. I had to sand the 1” dowel quite a bit for it to fit, but fit it did, nice and tight.
The last one was the hardest of all (and it was the prettiest to begin with).
In the end, I had 4 plugged bolt holes. I think the oak makes a nice contrast to the white(er) pine. Now that the bolts are secured (finally) to the bench with washers and nuts, the plugs complete the top 100% I think.
Next up is the sliding DeadSven and the leg vise…then the planing stops, dog holes…man the list just goes on and on…
Thanks for looking! For the pictures click here...
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com